English is one of the core subjects at VAHS that prepares students to live in a world filled with information and ideas. Our students are learning how to think with clarity and how to express that thinking in written and oral language that is clear, richly detailed and sophisticated. They are learning how to read more carefully and with more sophistication, and how to better negotiate the literate world. Additionally, VAHS offers a complete theater arts curriculum that challenges students both in the classroom and on the stage, and is recognized as a leader in theatre education. VAHS is dedicated to providing students with opportunities in all aspects of theatre production. The facilities and instruction prepares our students for a life in the arts beyond the classroom, both as practicing artists, and informed audience members.
English Vision and Mission Statement
All English students will:
- Critically read and analyze texts and media.
- Effectively research by finding detailed information on various topics from numerous, reliable sources.
- Cogently write to a diverse audience for a wide variety of purposes.
- Consistently demonstrate critical thinking skills.
- Confidently speak to a diverse audience for a wide variety of purposes.